Pac-12 Football Players of the Week – Week 9
OFFENSIVE: Jake Luton, Sr., QB, Oregon State (Marysville, Wash.)
• Led Oregon State to a 28-point comeback win over Colorado, defeating the Buffaloes 41-34 in overtime as he completed 28 of 39 pass attempts for 310 yards and 3 TDs in the second half and overtime.
• He did not see action in the first half and it was his first appearance in a game since Sept. 15 at Nevada.
• The win tied for the biggest comeback in Oregon State history, and the third-biggest comeback in Pac-12 history.
• Oregon State was a combined 9-for-15 on third down in the second half and overtime after going 2-for-9 on third down in the first half.
• Luton now has two 300-yard passing games; the first came in his first career appearance at Oregon State, in the 2017 season opener at Colorado State.
Also Nominated: J.J. Taylor, RB, ARIZ; Eno Benjamin, RB, ASU; K.D. Nixon, WR, COLO; KJ Costello, QB, STAN; Jack Sears, QB, USC; Zack Moss, RB, UTAH; Gardner Minshew II, QB, WSU
DEFENSIVE: Evan Weaver, Jr., ILB, California (Spokane, Wash.)
• Weaver keyed Cal’s 12-10 upset victory over No. 15 Washington by returning the first interception of his collegiate career 37 yards for a touchdown. The score was Cal’s only touchdown of the game as the Golden Bears won for the first time without scoring an offensive touchdown since Sept. 26, 1998.
• He finished with a team-high 11 tackles, 1.0 tackle for loss (-2 yards), the interception and one pass breakup. He was instrumental in Cal’s defense limiting Washington to 242 yards of total offense (91 rush, 151 pass). Washington entered the game averaging 430.5 yards total offense per game.
• Weaver currently ranks fifth nationally with an average of 6.5 solo tackles per game while he is 17th in total tackles (10.8 per game).
Also Nominated: Colin Schooler, LB, ARIZ; Merlin Robertson, LB, ASU; Nate Landman, ILB, COLO; Alijah Holder, DB, STAN; Cody Barton, LB, UTAH
SPECIAL: N’Keal Harry, Jr., WR, Arizona State (Chandler, Ariz.)
• Harry returned a punt 92 yards for a touchdown late in the third quarter of ASU’s 38-35 win at USC on Saturday, ending the Trojans’ 19-game home winning streak.
• Harry’s touchdown ended a run of 21 straight points by the Trojans and put ASU back in front 31-28.
• Harry’s return was the third-longest in Sun Devil history and the longest since Morris Owens’ school record 95-yard return in 1972.
• Added four receptions for 95 yards and one touchdown.
Also Nominated: Josh Pollack, PK, ARIZ; Steven Coutts, P, CAL; Jet Toner, K, STAN; Tyler Vaughns, WR, USC; Matt Gay, PK, UTAH; Blake Mazza, K, WSU